This page has moved to a new address.

N is for Nothing

Life In Texas: N is for Nothing

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

N is for Nothing


     I am watching 16 & Pregnant. I watch it every week for a couple of reasons. One, it's one of my guilty pleasures. Two, I host a 16 & Pregnant chat post in a Young Mom group on CafeMom.

     Let me just say, these girls know nothing about what they're getting into. Now, I am not an advocate for teen pregnancy, quite the opposite actually. However, once you get yourself into certain situations, you should do some research and be prepared for what's coming.

     The teenager they featured tonight was 37 weeks pregnant and had planned nothing. She hadn't decided if she was giving the baby up for adoption or keeping it. That's not so bad. I understand that that's a difficult decision. However, she had bought nothing for the baby. No crib, no car seat, no diapers, no clothes. You have had 9 months to plan for this one day, one would think that you could be a little more prepared.

     I can't imagine having a commitment as big as another human life and having nothing prepared. We had a crib up, car seat ready and all of the newborn clothes washed before Thing 1 was born.

     After she decided to keep the baby, she started to realize that there were other things that she hadn't planned for. She can't afford daycare, so she decided to do cyber school. Good decision. However, she made no plans for childcare while she works. It wasn't long after she went back to work that she had to call in because the (unemployed) child's father flaked on watching her while mom worked. 

     I guess the thing that really gets me is that they think that it's all going to be easy. They think that things will just work out and things will go their way. Reality check - it doesn't work that way. You have to work to get the things that your child needs.

     Ok. Rant over.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At April 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This episode semmed like they left out a lot of the story to me. Idky, but it just seemed like something was missing.

One thing that really got me was when she was mad at the landlord for putting her stuff on the curb. I would have done the same thing if I was that landlord because she used her and the left her hanging.

 
At April 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM , Blogger Sylvia Ney said...

I can't watch that show. I get too mad at the cycle.

New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

 
At April 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Brooke said...

I had my first at 19. I'm pretty sure I started buying at least clothes the MOMENT I knew it was a boy. :)

 
At April 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Meagan said...

I wish that parenting classes were part of prenatal care.....

 
At April 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have not watched an episode of that show, just seen previews. I had my first child when i was 24 and I tried to prepare for at least having the necessities for when I have her home. I agree that the girls on the show don't know how hard it will be for them once they realize it will be just them and the child.

 
At April 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous Diane N - Philzendia said...

I really think shows like this just make a lot of people look bad. A part of me makes me think that this all show and not real because I can't imagine being so unprepared.

 
At April 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Jen - Life With Levi said...

Wow. It's just so sad that girls are in that situation and aren't mature enough to focus on the baby's needs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home