This page has moved to a new address.

E is for Easter Eggs!

Life In Texas: E is for Easter Eggs!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for Easter Eggs!

     My kids are only 2 (turns 3 tomorrow!) and 4. So, dying Easter eggs was not high on my list of fun things to do. While I'm sure my carpet appreciates my hesitation, I still wanted an Easter themed craft for my kids to do. Around St. Patrick's Day, I saw an awesome craft that I have been wanting to try with the kids. This was the perfect opportunity.


What you'll need:
     coffee filters
     pencil
     scissors
     washable markers
     spray bottle filled with water
     something to put your eggs on while spraying (I used a cookie sheet that is dedicated to craft projects)

     1. Fold one coffee filter in half. Using your pencil, draw half of an egg (starting and finishing at your center fold).


     2. Use your scissors to cut it out. If your child is proficient with safety scissors, they may want to complete this step themselves. Thing 1 was able to cut her own (like the one below), while I helped Thing 2.


     3. Using washable markers, decorate your egg. Be sure to leave some space between the colors so that they have room to run when you spray it.


     4. I propped the cookie sheet up against a storage tote. I then sprayed a little bit of water on the cookie sheet so that the filter would stick. Thing 1 stuck her filter to the cookie sheet and sprayed it. Make sure that your bottle is set on spray and not stream. I also put a towel on the floor so that the marker wouldn't run onto my carpet.


     5. Allow the excess to run to the bottom of the cookie sheet/towel. Don't spray too much or all of your color will run off and you'll just have a white coffee filter again.


     6. Place wet eggs on paper towel to dry.


     7. When they're completely dry (15-30 minutes, depending on how much water you used), hang them in the window for a lovely stained glass effect.


     We hung them in the girls toy room. Now, they want to make a "Happy Easter" banner. I guess I'm off to figure out how we're going to do that...lol


     I am not sure where the coffee filter spritz crafts originated. Many sites have their own version of this craft. I think that it's a wonderful preschool activity. I have seen this elsewhere and other sites inspired my version.




Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At April 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM , Blogger Konstanz Silverbow said...

Those are so cute! Thank you so much for sharing! I love doing craft projects like this.

Konstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
A to Z Co-host
www.a-to-zchallenge.com

 
At April 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM , Anonymous Diane N - Philzendia said...

Love it. It's nice and easy and the end result is so cute!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Stealing! I think I'm going to do this with the boys Saturday (they're the same age as thing 1 and thing 2.)

 
At April 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I'm going to have to do this with the kids. This will be a good weekend craft for them to do before their spring break ends.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Alan said...

Your first picture made me think you made a giant, 8 ft tall Easter egg and put it in your yard.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM , Blogger MOV said...

so cute! looks like you had fun too.

best,
MOV

 
At April 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Blogger HB the Cupcake Princess said...

I will be trying this next year, I may even think about how to use this idea for 4th of July and other holidays!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger ETowns said...

Great craft idea, and it will let me involve little ones and not so little ones. Glad they know easter eggs do not come out of bunnies. I may be grabbing my sisters old coffee filters tomorrow.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Suzanne Payne said...

Those are OMG cute! I'm a elementary music teacher, so I'll have to share your blog with my other teacher friends! ;)

 
At April 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! What a fun time for the kids!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are very cute-and I love the simpleness of the coffee filters :)

 
At April 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are very cute-and I love the simpleness of the coffee filters :)

 
At April 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Jen - Life With Levi said...

Oh, how fun is this? And I already have most of the supplies in the house. I love easy kid's crafts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home