This page has moved to a new address.

Why are tattoos still taboo?

Life In Texas: Why are tattoos still taboo?

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Why are tattoos still taboo?


     I have always known that a lot of people aren't fond of tattoos. In my experience, it's been mostly older people, but some younger people are against them as well. I have one (so far). Below is a sample of the things I have heard since then, and my response to them.

1. You know that's permanent? No, really?!?! I thought that if I scrubbed really hard with alcohol, it would come off. Seriously, yes, I know that it's permanent. I put a lot of thought into it and it has meaning.

2. You're going to regret that one day. Yeah, I might. But right now, I love it. If in 50 years I'm not so fond of it, it's easily covered. Heck, I got it in August and there were some family members that didn't even know about it until after Christmas.

3. You're destroying your beautiful skin. No, I'm pretty sure that cancerous skin cells and various dermatologists destroyed my skin more than a tattoo did.

4. If God wanted that there, then he would have put it there. This is my favorite because the people that generally say this have altered their appearance in some way. Let's talk about a few of them; hair color, earrings, makeup. And here are two that people usually skip; glasses and hearing aids. Using their logic, if God wanted them to see and hear, they wouldn't need glasses or hearing aids.

     Now, according to the New York Post, the most recent Harris Poll shows that 1 in 5 American adults have at least one tattoo. You would think that at some point, people would just accept that all kinds of people are getting tattoos. Not everyone with a tattoo is a drug user, an ex-con or good for nothing.

     What are your thoughts on tattoos? If you don't like them, do you make comments like the ones above?

     Here's a picture of mine. My mom loved teddy bears. She passed away in May, so my teddy bear is an angel.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At March 22, 2012 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

When I began getting my poetry published as a teen, I write with the last name "Moonrose". To celebrate, my parents let me get a tattoo on my hip of a crescent moon with rose vines wrapped around it. It was something permanent to celebrate me achieving a dream at a young age and every time I see it, I am still proud of all that I've accomplished in my life.

 
At March 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous Diane N - Philzendia said...

I really don't see anything wrong with tattoos. I don't have any, but I have always wanted one!

 
At March 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Abbyscraftymom said...

I like tatoos and most people have some meaning behind them. I dont have any yet but i have wanted to get one in memory of my mother for a long time.

 
At March 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have one tattoo (for now)and mine is a different kind of angel bear. Mine has much meaning since I have gone through several miscarriages, and a stillbirth. I have heard most of the comments and I had the same reactions! My next one is for my son who has Autism, I WANT them to ask about it!

 
At March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am not fond of tattoos for myself, but I don't mind if other people have them. My fiance has seven of them and has plans for more. I do think people can go overboard and/or not think it through, but I would never say anything to them. It's their bodies, their choices, kwim?

 
At March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Jacqui Odell said...

I have one tattoo on my foot and I love it. Although that's it for me. I don't want anymore.

 
At March 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM , Anonymous Monique said...

I have four tattoos and plans for a lot more. I don't care what anyone says to me about them, and 90% of the feedback has been positive anyway. For those who are rude enough, I have a full arsenal of sarcastic answers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home