This page has moved to a new address.

If at first you don't succeed...

Life In Texas: If at first you don't succeed...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

If at first you don't succeed...

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried! - Steven Wright

     That is generally the philosophy that I have when it comes to crafts. I am a pretty crafty person, so if something doesn't work the first time, I tend to just ditch it and move on.

     Recently, there has been one craft that I couldn't get right that has just been bugging me. If you remember my Melted Crayon Art post, I said that I couldn't get mine to look like my inspirations. At the time, I found a way to make it work (using a hair dryer), but I didn't give up on the glue gun.

     So, I found another picture that I liked. This one is Thing 2 playing with her umbrella.


     To make it a little different, I painted the entire canvas black. I then traced Thing 2's picture onto the canvas with pencil. I used a white paint marker to fill it in. I had to let it dry completely and go over it a second time to cover all of the black. 

     I made an umbrella out of card stock and taped it around the umbrella on the canvas so that the crayon would run off of it like rain. I also covered all of the white paint with painter's tape.

     I then used my hot glue gun to melt the crayons onto the canvas. Since I kind of knew how my glue gun was going to act, it made it easier to get the look that I wanted.

     I also discovered that, in this case, less is not more. I think that one of my original problems was that I wasn't putting enough crayon on the canvas. I don't think that there is such a thing as "too much" for this craft.


     Here's the final product. What do you think?



Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At February 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love it!

 
At February 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks really neat! Nice job!

 
At February 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks really amazing!!

 
At February 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Maria D. said...

That is SO adorable! Great work!

 
At February 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Kallie Greenly said...

Thank you all!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home