This page has moved to a new address.

J is for Jars of Pixie Dust

Life In Texas: J is for Jars of Pixie Dust

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for Jars of Pixie Dust

   
     This Saturday, we will celebrate Thing 2's 3rd birthday! Since she is old enough to tell me what she wants, I let her pick her how birthday theme. This year, she wanted Tinkerbell.

     I have been thinking about what I can do for party favors, other than the normal things. A parent can only take so many party blowers, rings, whistles and pencils. What I came up with was little jars of pixie dust. Scout then suggested that I make them into necklaces. So, every kid is going to find that the fairies left a pixie dust necklace in their gift bags.

     Here's how I did it.

     I ordered little glass jars from CT Taiwan. I got fifty jars for $15.96. Now, it is important to note that these products are actually being shipped from Taiwan. They do have to go through customs, so shipping time may be longer than normal. With that said, I received my package about a week before the estimated delivery date. These jars hold 1mL. They are just under an inch (without the cork) and are about half an inch wide.



     I then used a cake decorating tip (Wilton #5 to be specific...but any with a small opening would suffice), as a funnel. I put the tip in the bottle and slowly poured in the pixie dust (aka gold glitter).


     Once the jars contained the desired amount of pixie dust, I dipped the end of the cork in mod podge and then put the cork in the jar. I glued them so that the kids couldn't dump glitter all over their parent's house and/or car.


     Finally, I used some green braiding cord to turn them into necklaces. Thing 1 and Thing 2 were very excited with the final result. I think that their friends will be equally excited.





Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At April 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

That's a great idea!

I think I might do these this summer with sand and clay shells or clay starfish! :)

 
At April 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Jen - Life With Levi said...

Do they offer bigger jars, too? This would be perfect for little cooking things I do.

 
At April 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Melody0605 said...

Those are too cute! Love them!

 
At April 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM , Anonymous Cristina said...

How cute is that! Hubby gets mad at me when I make the boys watch the Tinkerbell movies! =-)

 
At April 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

If I haven't said it already, you come up with the most creative things =)

 
At April 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Sadie said...

I love these. I've always wondered where to get them! This is great! Thanks for sharing. :)

 
At April 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM , Anonymous Diane N - Philzendia said...

Great idea. Good thinking on gluing them shut.

 
At April 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Kallie Greenly said...

You can get bigger jars at most major craft stores. However, CT Taiwan sells cosmetics containers, so I think that all of their containers are small.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home