This page has moved to a new address.

Foil Baking Cup Crayons

Life In Texas: Foil Baking Cup Crayons

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Foil Baking Cup Crayons


     
    If your kids are anything like mine, you end up with more broken crayons than whole ones. I have been saying that I was going to buy a Crayola Crayon Maker for a year, but I still haven't. So today, I had a little inspiration and decided to melt the broken crayons in my oven.

     First, you need to remove the paper from the crayon bits. I found that it was easier to cut a line down the entire paper using a knife than it was to try and pull it back with my fingernails.

     Second, place foil baking cups on cookie sheet (I used an old cookie sheet so that I would't ruin a good one if I burned crayon onto it) or use them to line your muffin pan (any size!).

     Now, you're ready to put your crayon pieces in the baking cups! I made 2 different kinds. I made some in mini-muffin papers and some in jumbo muffin papers . For the jumbos, I mixed a bunch of different colors together. I filled the cups about 3/4 full with crayon pieces. For the minis, I used various shades of the same color, also filled 3/4.

Colors in jumbo baking cup

The tray of jumbos.

     They're finally ready for the oven! I set my oven at 250 degrees F. At that temp, my jumbo cups had to bake for about 15 minutes. The minis only took 10 minutes. Part of the bake time is the size of the crayon bits. Smaller bits are going to melt more quickly.



     When all of the crayon bits are melted, it's time to remove them from the oven. Be sure to disturb them as little as possible while moving them.

Jumbos fresh out of the oven

     Allow the crayons to cool completely before removing them from the foil baking cups.

     Your new crayons are now ready to use!


     Below are some picture of the final product! I'm going to add a Merry Christmas tag and a Christmas-y bow and give them to Thing 1's and Thing 2's friends.

Cooled and bagged jumbos

Minis - one set in bag, the rest cooled in pan





  

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At January 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Alan said...

The kids enjoyed them a lot! Thank you!

 
At January 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Kallie Greenly said...

I'm glad they enjoyed them!

PS - Someone left a purple crayon at my house.

 
At January 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Alan said...

That's probably mine, I'm missing a purple.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home