This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Fun? Thing 1's Birthday

Life In Texas: Friday Fun? Thing 1's Birthday

Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Fun? Thing 1's Birthday

     Today was Thing 1's birthday. She woke up very excited. She knew that we were saving presents and cake for her party, but she was very excited about being 4.

     We started the day with breakfast and a few shows on Sprout. After that, we did a few worksheets from her school folder. Then, we played Barbies, had a tea party, and had a tickle war. Basically, we did whatever Thing 1 wanted to do.

     After all of this fun (and tiring) playtime, it's time for lunch. Thing 1 wanted more cereal for lunch. Usually, cereal is only for breakfast, but since it was her birthday, I let both girls have more cereal for lunch. While they were eating, Thing 1 and I had the following conversation.


     Thing 1: Mama, you know how we call people on their birthdays and sing 'Happy Birthday' to them?

     Me: Yes, baby.

     Thing 1: How come no one has called to sing to me?

     Me: I don't know baby.

   
     At this point, I didn't know what to do. So, I changed the subject. I asked her if she wanted to go get a slushy monkey. Of course, her answer was yes. Both girls got purple slushy monkeys. They really enjoyed them. Although, neither girl finished them.

     Now, it was nap time. For some reason, I had a killer headache. I decided that a nap would be good for me too. So we all snuggled in my bed and took a nice long nap. While we were napping, Scout's grandmother did call to wish Thing 1 a happy birthday. She's the only one that called. All day.

     Is it really too much effort for her grandparents to pick up the phone and tell their granddaughter "happy birthday"? I guess that it is, because none of them called. Not 1. That's something that I will always miss about my mom. Birthdays were a big deal. You know, a day to specifically say "I'm glad that you were born." Since Thing 1's first birthday, my mom would come pick her up and take her to a special lunch. She would never not call. And neither of my grandmothers called. Well, not true. My mom's mom, J, called. When she said "I can't believe that she's going to be 4." I said, "Well, she's already 4. Today is her birthday." And do you know what she said?!?! "That's nice." There were a few expletives that came to mind, but I resisted.

     I then took the girls to my high schools homecoming football game. They had a blast playing with my cousin's kids, watching the cheerleaders and seeing the "girls in pretty dresses". Our team won, which they always do.

     So, I spent a lot of the day crying and missing my mom. But, after we got home from the game and enjoyed a brownie, Thing 1 declared that this was "the best birthday ever!".

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At October 22, 2011 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Aww I'm sorry that she didn't get many calls.. I'n glad she had a nice birthday though! Happy (late) birthday to Thing 1 (from someone she doesn't know lol)!

 
At October 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Kallie Greenly said...

Thanks. My mother-in-law did call today, but I think that that may have been due to a passive aggressive facebook status...lol

 
At October 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Baby Years said...

Well Happy Birthday Thing 1!!! What a big girl!!! My oldest wont be 4 until April!! Man its crazy how time flies.
Im sorry about your family not calling her. My family does the same thing:( Especially since I have 3...they use that as an excuse....its sad.

 
At October 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Dawn Duddy said...

Oh MAN!!!! I think I'm more sorry for YOU than for Thing 1. :( What a sweetheart for saying that it was the "best birthday ever!" That was all due to YOU. I think it was GREAT that you let them have cereal for lunch! You ROCK!!!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Kallie Greenly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 15, 2011 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Alan said...

Well, we had fun at the game with you guys!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home